Chevy to Incorporate Siri in Two Models
Early next year, the U.S. version of the Chevrolet Spark and Sonic (known as Aveo in Europe) will integrate Siri, the intelligent assistant that helps get things done just by asking. Chevrolet made the announcement at the Los Angeles International Auto Show.
Through the cars' standard Chevrolet MyLink infotainment system, customers with compatible iPhones (4S and newer) running iOS 6 can direct Siri to perform a number of tasks while they keep their eyes on the road and their hands on the wheel. To further minimize distraction, Siri takes hands-free functionality even further with an Eyes Free mode that enables users to interact with their iPhones using nothing more than their voices while keeping the device's screen from lighting up. While in Eyes Free mode, Siri will not provide answers to complex questions that require displaying Web pages.
Owners connect their iPhones with the MyLink radio via Bluetooth, pair with the system, and use the steering wheel voice activation button to begin and end sessions with Siri in Eyes Free mode.
In the U.S., Spark and Sonic RS, owners can use Siri in Eyes Free mode to do the following:
- Make voice-activated, hands-free calls to contacts on their iPhones;
- Play songs in the iTunes library, and even switch music sources automatically from AM/FM/XM radio to iPod mode;
- Listen to, and compose and send an iMessage or text message to people in saved contacts;
- Access their calendars and add appointments; and
- Minimize distraction even more by keeping the screen of the iPhone from lighting up, even when Siri answers simple questions such as game scores or the dates of national holidays.
"It says a lot about our commitment to small-car customers that Chevrolet has announced that Siri Eyes Free capability will be available in the Spark and Sonic well before the luxury brands," said Cristi Landy, Chevrolet marketing director for small cars, in a statement. "Safe, easy, reliable and portable connectivity is a top priority for our customers, and Siri complements MyLink's existing capabilities to help deliver an incredible driving experience."