Nuance Revamps NDEV Mobile Developer Program
Nuance has expanded its NDEV Mobile developer program to feature new pricing and service models, new and enhanced voice capabilities and greater support for more platforms.
Since its inception in 2011, Nuance's NDEV Mobile developer program has empowered developers to voice-enable their applications, allowing for more natural, intuitive, and interactive app experiences. NDEV Mobile supports more than 20,000 developers, and powers applications including OnStar, Kraft, and Ask.com. Now NDEV Mobile is expanding to make it even easier for developers to incorporate the power of voice into a broader variety of applications for Android, iOS, and Windows Phone.
Key enhancements to NDEV Mobile include:
- Greater Transaction Thresholds: NDEV Mobile now offers up to 1 million voice transactions each month for Silver-level developers—an increase of 400,000 transactions per month—and has eliminated per-device transaction limits. These upgrades allow NDEV Mobile to support a wider variety of application categories, from music and navigation to messaging, gaming, and fitness.
- Custom Vocabularies: Silver- and Gold-level developers can add custom words to create their own customizable vocabularies, or dictionaries, enhancing the recognition of atypical or branded terms.
- Television Language Support: NDEV Mobile is expanding access to speech recognition capabilities optimized for television use cases to all NDEV Mobile developers across more languages. NDEV Mobile TV speech recognition support now includes coverage for U.S. English, U.K. English, Australian English, U.S. Spanish, European Spanish, French, German, and Italian.
- Windows Phone 8 Support: To meet growing developer demand, NDEV Mobile now supports the Dragon Mobile SDK on Windows Phone 8.
Additionally, NDEV Mobile is offering beta access to new voice features:
- Grammar Recognition Mode: Expanding on the capabilities of Custom Vocabularies, Grammar Recognition Mode allows developers to restrict recognition to a chosen vocabulary, thereby enhancing support for targeted use cases such as application control, Q&A, and more.
- Results Mapping: Developers now have more flexibility to specify their voice recognition output, supporting words, phrases, and terms with unique spellings.
"Offering greater access to an expanded range of voice capabilities will create new possibilities for developers hoping to take their apps to the next level of intuitive and naturalized interaction," said Michael Thompson, executive vice president and general manager, Nuance, Mobile and Consumer Division, in a statement. "By broadening our platform support, developers can reach their audiences on their own terms and in their own language."
The Dragon Mobile SDK is available for iOS 4 and higher, Android 2.3 and higher, Windows Phone 7 and 8, and via an HTTP Web services interface.